The next reason we keep things in this series (and the last) … “I might need it someday”
Yesterday Lisa and I were doing a presentation for a group of prospective residents at a lovely senior community nearby. There were about 70 people there, all contemplating downsizing significantly in the near future. When we opened it up for questions, a lady asked “Well, what if I give something away and need it the next day?” Lisa and I both shot each other a look that said “Like that’s going to happen …” But, we were more professional and talked through her concern. The audience, however all started to laugh a bit because they all knew what I’m sure she knew as well, the chances of that happening are quite slim.
Yet, that’s a big reason that we hold onto something … just in case. As I’ve said before, if you’ve got the room to keep it and stay organized, go for it! But the majority of us don’t have unlimited space and have to focus on the stuff we either love or use frequently. If you haven’t needed it in years, you’re probably not going to need it in the near future. And, on the off chance you do, perhaps you could borrow one or buy and inexpensive version given that it’s not something you’ll be using a lot.
So many of us use social media to keep up with friends and family, but it can also be a resource to help each other out. A quick post asking if any of your “friends” has a punchbowl or a sewing machine you could borrow is a great way to keep from buying or keeping things you’ll only use once or twice. What a great way to support each other!
So, as they say, “when in doubt, throw it out” (or donate/give it away) is a good general rule to follow. 99% of the time, you won’t be sorry and for the other 1% of the time, there’s a solution.